Pages

Book Review: The Guest List by Lucy Foley

Friday, October 15, 2021

 



Content Warning: violence, murder, death (including that of a child), bullying, hazing, abortion, misogyny, self-harm, drugs, suicide, depression, parental neglect, parental abuse, drugs.


On a tiny, secluded Irish island, a wedding is being held. As the guests gather, old jealousies rise and once-healed wounds open once more, and in a place so cut off from the rest of the world, it seems as if the rules of society no longer apply. While a storm begins to rage outside, someone is murdered, sending everyone into a frenzy -- and uncovering decades-old secrets...

As a massive fan of mysteries and thrillers, Lucy Foley's books have been on my radar for quite some time. Although it has been quite popular, the reviews have been rather mixed; it seems as if no one merely likes or dislikes this book, but instead loves or hates it. I figured it might be something right up my alley, what with the beautiful, isolated island and the ensemble cast, and as it happens, I was right!

The main gist of this book is a timeless story: everyone gathered together, hiding their own dark secrets and resentments. Of course I must compare it with And Then There Were None, seeing as it follows a similar, classic formula, one that I personally can't get enough of. Combined with an atmosphere that is so vividly rendered it feels as if you, too, are surrounded by Irish mists, bogs and greenery, that's more than enough for me to enjoy this rather wild ride.

All of the characters are wonderfully awful, bordering on detestable, and I loved discovering their personal tragedies, not to mention delighting in their sheer talent at being absolutely despicable. Some of the characters -- namely Hannah and Olivia -- are actually likable and easy to sympathize with, but be warned that the rest of them are all rich, white and insufferable. Julia was another character that I couldn't help but adore, despite her many flaws, and it was a little too fun to dive into her headspace.

The mystery itself is rather basic, but speaking honestly, I didn't mind. If you're like me, and thrillers are your thing, then it gets rather easy to guess who and whydunnit -- there's only so many twists and turns in the world. Although many of the character motivations are simple, it ends up making them more relatable and authentic. There were a few things that surprised me, though, so don't get too sure of your predictions! 

It's a four-star for me, simply because I found the ending a touch disappointing, but the entire journey is so fun (in a miserable, dark kind of way) that I have to recommend it. If you love a dark, stormy night and something reminiscent of Christie, check this lovely book out! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS