Pages

Book Review: A Most Clever Girl by Stephanie Marie Thornton

Thursday, August 26, 2021



Thank you to NetGalley and Berkley for allowing me to read this ARC!

Content Warning: murder, violence, death, suicide, cancer, animal death, sexual harassment, abortion, misogyny, alcoholism.


It's 1963. Cat Gray has had a double shock: the death of her mother, and the assassination of President Kennedy. Running off adrenaline and rage after reading the letter her mother left for her, she hunts down Elizabeth Bentley, notorious Communist spy queen turned FBI informant, with the intent to kill. But as Cat becomes captivated by Elizabeth's story of a life full of risks and an attempt to do something meaningful, she slowly starts to wonder if Elizabeth is really the villain she's been painted as, or if there's more beneath this woman's powerful façade -- and what it means for the mystery of Cat's own background...

As I'm sure you can tell by books previously reviewed here, I have a penchant for Russia and the history of Communism. When I saw this book, and realized that it was actually a fictionalized tale of the real-life Elizabeth Bentley, I knew it'd be on my list. From page one I was drawn in by this story, not only because of Thornton's vivid and powerful writing, but also because of her portrayal of a woman who has been pilloried by history.

It's easy to sympathize with Elizabeth, perhaps not only in spite of her mistakes, but because of them. She is far from perfect, a quasi-traitor to her country who often acts selfishly, but she's also dangerously clever and determined to try and remedy the pain she has caused throughout her life. I loved the deep, dark parts of her, as well as the caustic and biting humor she employs throughout the telling of her story. Thornton succeeded in making Elizabeth relatable, even lovable, but doesn't sugarcoat the sometimes damning truth.

The relationships that Elizabeth forms during her life as a spy were a highlight of the book for me, particularly when it comes to the wonderfully sweet and fascinating dynamic she forms with her handler, whom she falls head over heels for. I rooted for Elizabeth, and I also enjoyed the weaving of Cat's story in with the rest of the narrative. It isn't often that I say this, but there's really nothing I would change about this amazing, thrilling novel!

Highly recommended. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS