Pages

Book Review: Tales of Ming Courtesans by Alice Poon

Friday, August 20, 2021

 


½

Content Warning: violence, death (including that of a child), prostitution, murder, suicide, rape, sexual assault, abuse (physical, sexual, verbal and emotional).


Liu Rushi, Chen Yuanyuan, and Li Xiangjun were three of the renowned Eight Beauties of Qinhuai. Each coming from a background of hardship, all three sold to "thin horse breeders," a colloquial name for people who ran the slave and concubine market, these three women ended up having extraordinary lives -- sometimes at the cost of their own happiness and love. Known for their artistic talents, intelligence, and striking beauty, as well as their political knowledge and their challenging of societal norms, this novel follows their lives through friendship, love, tragedy, death and the end of the Ming Empire.

I previously read another of Alice Poon's novels, The Green Phoenix. I gave that one four stars, and although the writing style wasn't my favorite, I enjoyed it wholeheartedly. This one, unfortunately, didn't quite meet the mark for me. While I admire Poon's dedication to history and accurate details, and all three main characters were sympathetic and likable, it ultimately left me feeling as if I were being told everything rather than experiencing it. There is some context to this type of storytelling, as it is Rushi's daughter who is reading her memoir and also being told their stories by relatives, but the downside to this is that it becomes difficult to be immersed. 

To be fair, I have been in a bit of a reading slump, and I've struggled to read anything that truly captures my imagination these last couple of weeks. There were many things I enjoyed and liked about this book, like the previously mentioned dedication to accurate historical details, but the writing once again left me a bit cold -- as well as the fact that much of the language used feels too modern, and sometimes forces you out of the story. It felt especially strange in conjunction with the otherwise wonderfully rendered historical settings and details. 

That being said, I wouldn't not recommend this book, and I think if you are interested in the lives of these three very fascinating women, it's worth a read. As someone who has a deep interest in Chinese history, culture, and literature, it was still an enjoyable read and I'm glad I learned some new things!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS