Pages

Book Review: The Midnight Girls by Alicia Jasinska

Monday, October 25, 2021


½

Thank you to NetGalley and Sourcebooks Fire for allowing me to read this ARC!

Content Warning: death, child abuse, violence, murder.


Marynka and Zosia have grown up in the snowy kingdom of Lechija, polar opposites who spend their time tearing out the hearts of men in order to serve the witches who took them in as little girls. It's Karnawał, and now they're competing for the best and purest heart of all, beating in the chest of Lechija's prince. Marynka is Midday, a monster who can control fire and heat at her will; Zosia is Midnight, who flourishes in the cold and darkness, able to wield them like weapons. But on their journey to the capital, Warszów, Midnight and Midday find that they have more in common than they think -- and that their rivalry might go beyond simple dislike. Forced to decide if they want to live the rest of their lives under the thumb of the cruel witches who call themselves their grandmothers, or if there might be freedom in being a monster, Zosia and Marynka fight (and slowly fall in love) on this dangerous journey that will leave them wondering what the future holds. 

Coming out in December, The Midnight Girls is set to be a perfect Christmas read, full of snowy forests, ice-skating, and two monstrous girls that will capture your heart (both figuratively and literally)! Since the two main characters are, in fact, villains, I had a feeling I would love reading about these two girls who struggle with their complicated attraction as well as what it means to be a monster. Set in a fictional, fantasy country inspired by Poland, there's a lot of Eastern European folklore woven into this story, as well as politics that were at the forefront of the Polish people's minds during the 18th century. Those two things would've probably been enough alone to make me love this (as I'm a huge history lover, and political fantasy is always a winner in my book), but the relationship between Zosia and Marynka was the truly the icing on top of the cake! 

It took a while for me to really sink my teeth into this book; the first 20% or so percent was a bit rough, as I found myself a bit lost in Marynka and Zosia's world. The writing, too, sometimes felt a bit stiff -- but I'm so happy to report that the rest of the book completely took me by storm! I'm so glad that I didn't let a bit of a bumpy start make me put this one down! As the story goes on, it becomes more layered, more complex, and also helps us to really begin to understand and sympathize with our main characters. The girls are both hungry for love and affection -- starved of it due to their rough, frightening upbringings -- and also afraid of that very thing. Once they begin to speak to one another, to allow their feelings into the mix, their chemistry is immediate and palpable. 

I enjoyed the magic system; it was fun to read about the divine magic juxtaposed with the dark powers that Zosia and Marynka use. The descriptions of them growing their fangs, using fire and darkness, and transforming delighted me down to my bones. The writing also grew in its loveliness the further I got in; Jaskinska has real talent, particularly when it comes to building the culture of Lechija. The growth of both Zosia and Marynka felt genuine, hard fought for, realistic in its difficulty and sometimes painful revelations. Their relationship is a slow-burn, and let me tell you, as someone who loves a simmering romance, it definitely struck just the right tone for me!

There's really no better way to put it than telling you all how much I love Zosia and Marynka. Not only are they wonderfully deep and easy to root for, but the best part of it all is how this book allows its female characters to be bad. They're villainous, unafraid of their own power, but never punished for it. They go beyond your typical one-dimensional villain, and it feels so good to read about them being so bad.

Highly recommended. How I adore these monster girls, and I can't wait for the rest of the world to get a chance to know them! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS