Pages

Book Review: Wings of Silk by Li-Ying Lundquist

Monday, November 1, 2021

 


½

Thank you to NetGalley and Acorn for allowing me to read this ARC!

Content Warning: death, miscarriage, spousal abuse, rape, sexual assault, misogyny, racism, suicidal ideation, suicide attempt, depression, harassment.


Growing up in Mao's Communist China, Ying-Ying jumps at the chance to go to college in America. Arriving in New York City, she finds that not all is as it seems concerning the great American Dream, and that her relatives living in the States -- meant to care for her and help her onto the path of success -- are not as kind or considerate as she'd hoped. In spite of facing obstacle after obstacle, including homelessness, not being able to speak English, as well as the pain of being so far from her family and overcoming cultural differences, Ying-Ying is determined to make the best of her life, and show everyone that she can be the independent, powerful woman she's always wanted to be.

Initially, I requested this book thinking it was a memoir. As it turns out, it's not, but it is heavily inspired by the author's life, and there's no doubt when reading it that many of these experiences are hers. I saw a lot of rather negative reviews concerning this book, and to be honest, my expectations were quite low. In the end, perhaps because I was already expecting to be a bit disappointed, I actually rather enjoyed this novel and I found myself admiring Ying-Ying, as well as the author who crafted this story about a life of both hardship and love.

I wasn't sure if I would be as interested in this book since the majority of it actually takes place in America, but reading a firsthand account of an immigrant's attempts to make the most of her newfound freedom away from Mao's regime, and her innocent wonder for the new things she discovers in New York (like deli cheeses and bagels), was both captivating and touching. 

For me, the writing was a bit dry; I was surprised when I learned that this wasn't a memoir, because the style it's written in makes you feel as if these are all true life accounts. It didn't quite have a poetic or lyrical flow (which I rarely expect to find in memoirs, but as this is a fictional story, I would have preferred a bit more of those qualities), but it was concise and straightforward, and therefore very easy to read.

Although there were some other issues, such as the pacing, I never stopped rooting for Ying-Ying, and while this book was not quite a four or five star read for me, I really admire the voice that Lundquist has given to women, immigrants, outsiders, and all combinations of those things! Many people disliked the Christian aspect present in this novel; though there is a spiritual thread throughout, I never felt like it was being pushed on me. 

God doesn't even really factor into Ying-Ying's story until perhaps the last 10 to 20%, and she never strikes you as being hypocritical or judgmental of those who don't share her faith. In fact, she makes a point of baring Ying-Ying's mistakes, errors and sins, and relishes in her imperfections, which left me with a positive, hopeful feeling amongst all of the struggles throughout her life.

This wasn't a book I could really say I loved, but I liked it a lot and I think if you are interested in stories about immigrants and capable women who forge their own paths, it's worth giving this one a shot! All in all, a sweet, moving, and rather tender exploration of life and what it means to understand yourself not as others see you, but as you see yourself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS