Pages

Book Review: Inheritance of Secrets by Sonya Bates

Sunday, December 5, 2021

 



Thank you to NetGalley and HarperCollins for allowing me to read this ARC!

Content Warning: death, murder, violence, kidnapping, anti-Semitism, domestic verbal/emotional abuse.

Juliet Dunne is horrified -- and completely confused -- when her grandparents are murdered in their own home. Was it merely a home invasion gone wrong? It's only when Juliet finally gets into contact with her estranged sister Lily that she realizes something else is going on. Claiming she's being stalked, fearful that she will be next, Lily reveals information that suddenly makes Juliet wonder what's really going on. Was the Karl Weiss she knew the same man who grew up in Nazi Germany and was sent to the front at eighteen? Could he have been more deeply involved in the horror of the Nazi regime? And will the secrets he kept then come back to haunt Juliet and Lily?

I never grow tired of reading books set during WWII. Although this book is primarily set in modern-day Adelaide, there are postwar sections, and the main gist of the plot asks what exactly Juliet's beloved grandfather might have been up to when the Reich ruled Germany. I couldn't imagine something better suited to me than a thriller mixed in with historical fiction!

In the beginning, however, I wasn't too sure that I was clicking with the story Bates's was telling. Her writing is not exactly my cup of tea, which probably prevented me from immediately becoming immersed; I found it simplistic, but not in a way that I enjoyed. Once the ball started rolling, though, I was intrigued and actually eager to pick this back up and get to the next chapter. It helps that the history here is so fascinating, and I think we can all relate to the feeling of not truly understanding that our grandparents (and parents) were once young people with their own lives separate from us.

So, why did this end up being four stars for me? Well, mainly because the plot unfolds quickly and with a great deal of intrigue. It was exciting to try and figure out what exactly was going on, and whether Karl was truly the innocent, kind man that his loved ones believed him to be. Now, I do have a few nitpicks here: I was a bit disappointed by the ultimate twist of the story, which could've been handled a bit better and would've benefitted from a bit of tightening up. Also: to avoid spoilers, I won't say much, but I found the culprit to be ridiculously stupid at the end! I also think that there was so much suspense about Karl that the conclusion ended up feeling like a bit of a let down (to be fair, some of these things may be altered before publishing).

That being said, the story itself is tons of fun, and I definitely enjoyed the questions surrounding Karl's life. I must also mention that I feel Bates handled the topics discussed here with the gravity they deserve. The characters could've used a bit more complexity, particularly Karl and Juliet, but I rather loved Lily and Juliet's (former?) best friend, Ellis. 

If you love mysteries and historical fiction, I highly recommend giving this one a shot. It's got enough suspense to keep you on the hook, but there is also a fascinating dynamic between the two sisters here that is by turns sad and heartwarming. This is Bates's debut -- I'll certainly be on the lookout for her future novels! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS