Pages

Book Review: A Memory Called Empire by Arkady Martine

Wednesday, December 8, 2021

 



Content Warning: death, violence, murder, racism, xenophobia, suicide, colonialism.


Mahit Dzmare is from Lsel Station: small, developed for mining, and independent of the imperialistic forces of a multiplanetary Empire. Growing up, though, Mahit has idolized Teixcalann, with all of its literature, art and culture, and apparent sophistication. When she's appointed as Diplomatic Ambassador, meant to replace a predecessor who has suddenly died, it's like a dream come true. Or, perhaps, a nightmare: it seems that the former Ambassador's death was no accident, and that someone might be very, very interested in ensuring that Mahit does not carry on his legacy. Short of time, with precious few allies, Mahit must discover who exactly took his life, and try to stop Teixcalaan from consuming her home planet in its course of colonization. 

Incredibly immersive and beautifully written, this book has been on my to-read list ever since I happened to read a tiny section if its very first page. It immediately captivated me, and left me wondering what was going on in this fascinating sci-fi world that Martine has built. I'm very pleased to say that I wasn't at all disappointed; this is easily one of the most layered and complex novels that you'll probably ever read.

First and foremost I must discuss the worldbuilding, which has such depth to that I couldn't help but imagine Teixcalaan and Lsel station as real places. Each chapter is headed with excerpts of either in-world books, messages between characters, or other pieces of literature that Martine has created for her book. One of the things I really enjoy when reading sci-fi or fantasy is the inclusion of small details, pieces of everyday life: we are allowed a glimpse into what they eat on Teixcalaan, their complicated poetry, some of the intricacies of their language. It also helps that Mahit is not only likable, but extremely relatable -- an outsider, just as we are. 

The discussions of colonialism, xenophobia, racism and how all-reaching Empires consume the lives and cultures they touch were adeptly woven into this fictional world, while also still maintaining their relevancy to the real one. Like any good novel, the politics and issues here were close enough to our own to inspire sympathy and the feeling of being understood, but more palatable (and less depressing) through the veil of science fiction. 

I loved all of the characters, though I'm particularly fond of Mahit herself, as well as her cultural liaison, Three Seagrass, and Nineteen Adze, who could be an ally or an enemy. Their relationships are all intriguing and well-done, though I think the most interesting dynamic is the one between Mahit and Teixcalaan itself. Her admiration (coupled with sometimes repulsion) for it gives us a perfect lens through which to view everything, and I think her slow disenchantment with it all felt authentic and eloquently done. 

All in all, I loved this book, and I highly recommend it to anyone reading this review! It's difficult to put into words how amazingly put together this novel is, and I honestly am not sure that I've done it any justice whatsoever. But please, trust me on this: A Memory Called Empire is devastating in its beauty and terror. And if you're like me, and you love politics in fantasy worlds, this one will definitely be your cup of tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS