Pages

Book Review: This Rebel Heart by Katherine Locke

Monday, April 4, 2022

 


½

Thank you to NetGalley, Random House and Knopf Books for allowing me to read this ARC!

Content Warning: death (including that of children), murder, violence, war, anti-Semitism, the Holocaust, torture.


Csilla was born in Hungary, but now, she's ready to leave. It's October of 1956, and she's finally made plans to escape Budapest with her aunt, the only living member of her family left. Her parents were murdered by the Soviet government, but when they're unexpectedly rehabilitated by the State, Csilla's world is once again turned upside down. She's always loved her country, but it hasn't loved her back -- evidenced by the Hungarian participation in atrocities against the Jewish community. There's magic in the city, though, particularly in the Danube, something Csilla has always been aware of, and as Csilla decides whether to stay or go, she grows closer to the magic as well as to the truth of who her parents were and who she can become -- and what this revolution might mean not only for Hungary, but for the world.

If you have any knowledge of my previous reviews, you'll probably be aware that I have a huge interest in the history of Communism and the Soviet regime. Whether or not to request an early release copy of This Rebel Heart was not even a question in my mind. Not only does it blend historical fiction with magical realism, but it also tells the story of a young Jewish woman fighting for freedom and hope in a country where repression has (attempted) to crush the human spirit. I was also excited by the inclusion of LGBT characters and stories, so it seemed like a perfect match for me. As this was one of my most anticipated reads of 2022, I'm sad to say that in the end, I was left disappointed and slightly confused by what the summary promised and the book ended up delivering.

You aren't required to have prior knowledge concerning the Hungarian Uprising of 1956, and I do want to applaud Locke's subtle way of telling us about the lives these people have been living under Communist oppression without feeling as if they're hitting us over the head with information. My absolute favorite part of this book is the beautiful weaving in of Jewish culture and history, and how seamlessly Locke incorporates not only those elements into the story and plotline, but also how they give the story a uniquely Jewish type of magic. It's equally devastating and moving to read about the history of Csilla's family, as she grapples with her own losses and those she experiences through her surviving family, and the memories she has of her community before the Holocaust. All of these aspects were heartening, beautiful, and felt fully realized. 

My main issues are plotline and pace. The Revolution that drives this story takes a very, very long time to come to life, and while typically I wouldn't mind the tension building before the event, there was actually little tension to speak of (in spite of the fact that we are constantly reminded of how fragile Csilla's existence is, and how easily she could end up dead or in a gulag somewhere). There's a repetitiveness to her days, as well as to her inner monologues, that kept me from ever feeling as if the plot or characters were actually moving forward. There's so much that, in my opinion, could've and should've been cut -- especially because despite the extra time we're allowed to spend with Csilla, I was never able to connect with her. I think this has a lot to do with the rather abstract, overwrought style of writing, which makes simple actions and conversations into overly complicated, lengthy ordeals. Throughout the novel, I had the feeling that because everything is meant to be so meaningful, and because the characters constantly spout lines that feel poetic rather than genuine, it actually ends up losing its meaning. No one talks like this. Not even people in the midst of uprisings or revolutions.

There are two other main characters, Azriel and Tamás, who feel equally as distant as Csilla. Their chapters did little to help me understand their feelings, thoughts, or motivations. Tamás is the one who tells Csilla that she has the titular rebel heart, but the problem is, before this moment, we never see it. I found myself wondering, where is he seeing this in her? She felt almost one-dimensional, a sort of springboard for us to use to put ourselves into the story, but ends up losing her own personality or characteristics because of this. The relationship that ends up developing between her, Azriel and Tamás was intriguing, but again, I kept thinking, what are they feeling for each other? Why do they feel connected to one another, out of all the other people in Budapest, in Hungary, in the world?

In spite of this, I did like them, and I wanted to root for them and care about them. I also want to comment on the LGBT elements of the story. For me, it was rushed and half-formed, and it seemed to me that it had very little impact on the story or even the characters who identify that way. I am not accusing the author of being disingenuous or anything of that sort, but I was disappointed by the parts of the story that dealt with the LGBT characters and storylines. I hate to say this, but it was as if it was more an afterthought than a well-developed inclusion. 

I found myself warming to them all as we approached the end of the tale, but then, the sudden and abrupt conclusion threw me off-guard once more. I'll say for certain that I didn't like the ending, or its ambiguity, or the way it insinuated hopelessness in a story that, for me, was all about hope. Others probably have better, more thoughtful things to say on it than I do, but it certainly was something that influenced my rating. The magical realism also didn't capture my attention, and just further muddled the story and its plotlines.

I think that, in the end, this just wasn't for me. Many people will love this book, and speaking honestly, it pains me to put out a review that is not very positive. If you're interested in This Rebel Heart, I hope you will still give it a chance, and form your own opinions on it!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS